Authentication from IP to email address has failed with error 0x52
danflip
2007-02-14 21:55:28 UTC
Please help.

exchange 2003 frontend/backend setup. using outlook 2003 on LAN to make a
POP3 connection to the front end server. when testing settings all are
successful except "log onto incoming mail server (POP3)". it just hangs there.

Event logs shows:
Authentication attempt from <IP> to <email address> has failed with error
0x52e.

I *have* verify the mailbox alias and username (both post and pre
windows2000) are identical (no leading or trailing spaces).

All was fine yesterday. Last night I rebooted a DC (stating this to list all
facts). Today, to try to resolve this issue I:
-restarted exchange IS, system attendant, and MTA Stacks (on both the front
and back end server)
-restarted POP service.

Please someone help.
Ed Crowley [MVP]
2007-02-15 03:09:18 UTC
You can try using the command line TELNET <servername> 110 to see whether
you can get a valid connection. You could also use Outlook Express to
possibly narrow down whether you have an Outlook, Exchange, or
communications problem.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange